Panic broke out in parts of Osogbo on Wednesday afternoon after suspected gunmen opened fire on the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after he left the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.
The attack triggered a prolonged exchange of gunfire between the assailants and security operatives attached to the governor, forcing traders, residents and other people in the vicinity to flee for safety.
The incident occurred shortly after Adeleke visited the Ataoja’s palace following his appearance at the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Osogbo, where he received his Certificate of Return after securing re-election.
The governor reportedly arrived at the palace at about 3:15 p.m. in a convoy of approximately 20 vehicles.
An eyewitness who spoke with our correspondent on the telephone, but requested anonymity because of security concerns, said Adeleke was received by the traditional ruler, who reportedly offered prayers before the governor departed.
According to the eyewitness, the shooting began shortly after the meeting ended.
The source said Adeleke had already left the palace hall and entered the vehicle conveying him and some of his close aides when the attackers struck.
«“He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots,” the eyewitness said.»
She alleged that the assailants arrived in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan axis of Osogbo and opened fire as the governor’s convoy prepared to leave.
«
“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene,” she added.
The attack reportedly sent traders and residents around the palace into a panic, with many abandoning their shops and businesses as the sound of gunfire rang through the area.
A trader identified simply as Munirat said the attackers might have been monitoring the governor’s movement and deliberately positioned themselves around the palace ahead of his arrival.
“We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him. They came in a Sienna space bus,” she said.
Munirat further alleged that the attackers damaged the palace’s main gate and fired towards the entrance before security personnel succeeded in pushing them back.
“We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road,” she said.
The gun battle reportedly affected commercial activities in the area as several business owners hurriedly closed their shops and residents sought cover.
The development comes amid heightened political tension and previous incidents of gun violence in Osogbo and other parts of Osun State in the run-up to the 2026 governorship election. Earlier in June, the state witnessed several politically charged shooting incidents, with rival political camps trading accusations over the violence.
In a separate June incident involving the Ataoja’s palace, the monarch had alleged that armed men attacked the palace in what he described as an assassination attempt. However, the Osun State Police Command later disputed that characterisation, saying its investigation found no evidence of a coordinated assassination attempt.
Government Confirms Attack
The Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed Wednesday’s incident when contacted.
Alimi said the attackers were repelled by the governor’s security personnel and disclosed that no casualty had been recorded.
“They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” Alimi said.
The commissioner did not disclose the identities of the attackers or indicate whether any arrests had been made at the time of filing this report.
As of 4:45 p.m., when our correspondent left the area, sporadic gunshots were reportedly still being heard around the vicinity of the palace.
Several traders had shut their businesses, while residents continued to move away from areas considered vulnerable to further violence.
The circumstances surrounding the attack, including the identity and motive of the gunmen, remain unclear. Security agencies are expected to investigate the incident and determine how the assailants were able to approach the governor’s convoy and escape from the area.